Search This Blog

May 12, 2008

Alice Walker on Obama

Lest We Forget: An open letter to my sisters who are brave.

The author argues that we must build alliances not on ethnicity or gender, but on truth. I HAVE COME home from a long stay in Mexico to find – because of the presidential campaign, and especially because of the Obama/Clinton race for the Democratic nomination - a new country existing alongside the old. On any given day we, collectively, become the Goddess of the Three Directions and can look back into the past, look at ourselves just where we are, and take a glance, as well, into the future. It is a space with which I am familiar.

"I wish I could say white women treated me and other black people a lot better than the men did, but I cannot. It seemed to me then and it seems to me now that white women have copied, all too often, the behavior of their fathers and their brothers, and in the South, especially in Mississippi, and before that, when I worked to register voters in Georgia, the broken bottles thrown at my head were gender free." Continue reading

No comments:

ShareThis

ShareThis
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin