Search This Blog

August 13, 2008

Jones 2nd African-American to Win Gold

Swimmer Cullen Jones is still reeling from winning Olympic gold in a relay that is already being called one of the most exciting races in sports history. And now he is just starting to digest the longer-reaching impact his victory could have on a sport that is lacking in diversity.

“I was told, ‘You could change the face of swimming by getting more African-Americans into swimming,’ ” Jones, 24, said. “At first I was like, ‘Really, me?’ I never got into it thinking I could do something like that, you never do. I just liked to swim.”

But years of training have led Jones to the top of the Olympic podium — and he is ready to use his new position in the public spotlight to spread his love for swimming to minority youths when he returns home to the States. source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a young African-American swimmer. I am so impressed and inspired by Cullen Jones that I now want to pursue swimming in a serious way.

Sojo
Check out my culture blog for preteens/teens of color
http://trumpetworld.blogspot.com/

ShareThis

ShareThis
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin