Search This Blog

March 26, 2009

Five herbs for your grocery list !

1. Turmeric
Turmeric has emerged as a powerful anti-cancer agent, and that’s mainly due to the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-viral potency of its active ingredient: curcumin. Curcumin has been linked to a slowing in breast cancer cell growth, and the slowing or prevention of Alzheimer’s disease. It’s also been shown to foster liver health and lower cholesterol.
2.Rosemary
Research suggests has cancer-fighting properties, inhibiting and reducing tumor growth. Rosemary also contains a polyphenol known as carnosol, which may protect the brain from free radical damage, stroke and some neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease.

3. Mustard Seed
Glucosinolates are the base of mustard seed’s distinct flavour and some research suggest these chemical compounds may also fight cancer by inhibiting and/or slowing cell growth.


4.Cinnamon
An ancient spice with an intoxicating and irresistible aroma, cinnamon has received increased attention of late for its anti-inflammatory effects. Research suggests it possesses Type-2 diabetes- and heart disease-fighting powers.

5. Basil
Mix up your exposure by choosing different varieties. Purple basil contains anthocyanins, the compounds that make blueberries such a healthy addition to your diet. Green basil offers flavonoids. Both offer anti-fungal (inhibits growth of bacteria) and anti-inflammatory protections. Research suggests basil may help ease the effects of inflammatory conditions like arthritis and irritable bowel diseases.

5 comments:

Cee said...

Wow, I always have Turmeric, Cinnamon and sometimes Rosemary in my house but I never knew they are that important to my health, thank You Ebony for the info. Now let me find out how I can use the mustard seed

Beauty Is Diverse said...

Your welcome, I have a cinnamon stick with my apple cider, every morning.

Fly Girl said...

I'm way into herbs. I actually have tumeric capsules that I take when my joints get stiff from working out. It's good for inflamation and circulation. I sprinkle cinnamon on everything, it's one of my faves. I use all of these except mustard seed, which I suspect I get enough from all the mustard I use!

random said...

Nice post! I always wanted to try herbs. How can you use these herbs, btw?

Beauty Is Diverse said...

@ Fly Girl- I will have to look for the capsules because i get stiff to after exercising.

@ Dasia- Here is a link on how to work herbs into your food.

http://www.gomestic.com/Cooking/Herbs-and-How-to-Use-Them.43383

ShareThis

ShareThis
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin