Search This Blog

June 5, 2009

We Are Not a Monolithic Group of People

On a daily basis I am going to post information on all the different ethnic groups that are classified as "black people". Most who know me personally know that I do not like the term "black". Now don't get confused , me not liking the term black has nothing to do with my skin complexion, nothing to do with the texture of my hair , or my ancestry. I am proud of all of those characteristics.

Here are several reasons why I dislike the term "black"

1. It is a misnomer: a misapplied or inappropriate name or designation. 2. an error in naming a person or thing.

2. Denationalization: to remove (an industry or the like) from government ownership or control. 2.to deprive of national status, attachments, or characteristics.

3. It creates an illusion that we are all suppose to act, look, think, talk the same and or share the same culture, faith, history, lifestyles, values etc.

Lisa over at Black Women Blow the trumpet has written a great article called THE MYTH OF BLACK MONOCULTURALISM .

6 comments:

. said...

i'm looking forward to learning about the groups you find!

RainaHavock said...

Sounds good to me!

LiBM said...

Well .... I am interested with how you plan to classify 'black' people

Beauty Is Diverse said...

@LiBM, I'm going to classify them by their PROPER names.

Anonymous said...

Well this is long overdue...
As a Nigerian, i am sick of being told by African Americans that i am not "Black". I think , perhaps an explanation on the difference between nationality,race, ethnicity and culture is called for. It is also, that i dont fit into the american perception of what "Black" is. This is why i love your blog ..it recognises a broad spectrum of the black experience.

Beauty Is Diverse said...

@Anon- Your welcome. Yes that is the main problem, a lot of people do not know the difference between, race, ethnicity & nationality.

ShareThis

ShareThis
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin